Frontier Lithium Planning to Build Demonstration Plant to Produce Multiple Lithium Products for Industrial and Battery Markets
Sudbury, Ontario, April 2, 2019 – Frontier Lithium Inc. (TSX.V: FL) (the “Company) announced today that it has launched Phase I Development plans of the PAK Lithium Project. Phase I will be an Advanced Exploration program to confirm the Project’s economic viability through the construction and operation of a Demonstration Concentrator Plant (the “Demonstration Plant”).
The Demonstration Plant will have a capacity to produce up to 15,000 tonnes of lithium concentrate (spodumene) per year from a representative surface sample of the PAK deposit. The Pak Deposit, naturally containing up to 4.5% lithium oxide (“Li2O”), will be processed via gravity, heavy media, flotation and magnetic processes with a range of spodumene concentrates from 6.0 to 7.2% Li2O. Construction of the plant will commence in the next 12-20 months providing related permits and financing are confirmed.
Five key goals of the Demonstration Plant are to:
- Produce high-quality technical grade concentrates (7.2% Li2O) for the expanding glass and ceramics markets;
- Produce high-quality chemical grade concentrates (6% Li2O) for the rapidly developing lithium battery market;
- Qualify products that meet specific customer and application requirements to secure North American and European off-take agreements;
- Validate and optimize the mining and milling technology and flow-sheet design in advance of finalizing the Phase II Commercial Production feasibility study;
- Serve as a training facility for the local workforce to maximize local benefits of the future mining and milling operations;
“Frontier Lithium’s future Phase II Commercial Production objective is to supply 3% of the world’s lithium demand from Ontario’s Electric Avenue by 2025.” stated Trevor Walker, President and CEO. “Our deposit is located on the other side of the globe from the world-class operating Greenbushes’ deposit in Western Australia which has dominated global hard rock supply for years. The demonstration plant will enable us to reach out to customers and offer a high quality, reliable, long term and cost effective North American alternative. Our phased approach provides certainty and aligns optimal timing for Frontier and customers in the industrial and battery applications in this fast growing and tightly controlled lithium market.”